Question
Posted by: Micky | 2003/02/11

IBS Sufferer Desperate to loose weight

Hi Doc,

I have been diagnosed with Irratable Bowl Syndrome, I am under alot of stress which just seems to worsen my problem, I want to know if it is true that if you don't have a regular movement that you won't loose weight, cause I am struggling with that quite badly. Also is it true that laxitives can cause irriversable damage to the bowl?

Dear Micky
Sorry to hear about the IBS, but you are quite correct that stress is a most important factor in this disease. The treatment consists of a) increasing your dietary fibre intake to ensure regular bowel movements (click on 'Diet' and 'View old Diet & Food site' and read the articles on high-fibre foods, etc) and b) learning to relax and to control stress. If you increase your fibre intake and drink 3-4 glasses of water a day and do some exercise the constipation should improve. The exercise will also help you to relax. Try joining a yoga class or consult a clinical psychologist to teach you relaxing techniques. The use of harsh laxatives is NOT a good idea because it really does destroy the natural bowel movements called peristalsis. There are certain so-called bulking agents like Fybogel which do not harm the bowel, so if you absolutely have to use a laxative, then use Fybogel and not one that contains herbs like senna or chemicals such as phenolphthalein.
Take care