Question
Posted by: Shirls | 2003/03/10

IBS / SPASTIC COLON

I was diagonsed with a "spastic colon" in December 2001 and was given colofac. I have been back to the Dr once since then for the same condition (after a hijacking). But for the last few days I have had a similar pain. It starts like a stich and then the cramps intensify and I can barely stand or sit straight. The "cramp" covers my whole left side and around my waist to my back.
I do have a lazy bowel but of late that has not been a problem. My stress levels are no where near to what they were on the previous 2 occasions.
What is the difference between a spastic colon and IBS?
Any ideas as to what I am suffering from?

Shirls, IBS and spastic colon are one and the same thing. You have to remember that although stress is a major factor when it comes to IBS, it isn’t the only irritant that affects the bowel. It might be anything from constipation to caffeine and chocolate that irritates the colon and causes the pain. The best would to start taking your IBS muti and see if it doesn’t want to clear up. If it doesn’t, you will have to see your doctor again. Good luck.