Question
Posted by: Cat Lady | 2007/04/10

IBS, Probiotics and Flatulence

Dear Diet Doc

I have suffered from IBS for the last 20 or so years. I take when I get an attack, all sorts of antispasmodics Spasmo Canulase, Bevispas, Librax, Millerspas, Bevispas etc etc. I asked my doctor about Zeltrum (spellling unsure) but he reckons it is very expensive and only 50% of patients get relief. I normally go for an injections if the condition takes longer than 10 days to clear up and sometimes drips. After the last drastic attack, he put me on Priobiotic 4 and I have never experienced such flatulence in my life - very embarrassing. Should I continue with it, it seems to regulate my movements more but the flatulence is causing me problems. This IBS is really the bane of my life. Stress excerbates it - I lost my one and only sister to cancer 5 months ago. We were very close and I have been battling with all sorts of ailments ever since including gastric oesophagus reflex disorder, IBS, head aches and am battling the last few months to get my blood pressure down to an acceptable level. Whillst she was alive the bp was fine, but ever since she passed away it has become worse. I am on medication. I also have mild kidney failure. Needless to say I am depressed but am going for counselling. Is there anything else I can do? I take vitamin supplements, Berocca Calmag, primrose evening oil, salmon oil, and three types of Arthritis supplements as I have had to cut out anti-inflammatories. Thank you.

Expert ImageProbiotics expert

You have not had an easy time.
I would recommend that you give Zelnorm a try. 50% chance is better than nothing!
Probiotics have shown potential in IBS, one aimed more specifically at IBS is a product called 299V. Another option (more cost effective) is Reuteri, which is easy as it is a once daily dose.

With counseling and less stress added to the equation you should feel better!

1
Posted by: bud | 2007/06/12

Can you take combined probiotic and prebiotic with anti malaria tablets

Reply to bud