Question
Posted by: Kevin | 2003/03/09

I.B.S. or leading up to Cancer?

Hi Doctor!
I am 42 and have always had a problem with constipation. My mother says I used to sit on the toilet for anything up to 2 hours at a time when I was little. When she took me to the doctor he said there was nothing wrong. Now I am tired of being constipated, blown up and having a sore gut all the time. My wife told my mother about me and now she is nagging again (so whats new) for me to go to the doctor but I am sure I just have i.b.s. She also worries cos my Dad died of melanoma and both his brother and sister also died of cancer. Can cancer be hereditary?

Kevin, some cancers may be hereditary and there definitely is a tendency for cancers to “run in families”. Going to the doctor isn’t really such a big thing, so why don’t you see a gastroenterologist and make sure there is nothing wrong with you? While you’re there have him give you something to cure the constipation too. Good luck.