Question
Posted by: Pain | 2007/12/11

IBS - Explained

Hi Doc,

I recently found out that I have IBS and I am currently on a probiotic and taking librax 3 times a day. My pain goes away sometimes but when I touch my tummy - it's excruciating pain. Can't sit or stand - it's crazy. Can I take or do anything else?

Dear Pain
Have you seen a gastroenterologist? IBS is a diagnosis that we make by exclusion of many other diseases like ulcerative colitis, infectious bowel disease, cancer etc. If you haven't had a colonoscopy you can't make the diagnosis of IBS. There may be another problem and the current medication may not be sufficient?