Question
Posted by: Lolli | 2008/06/24

IBS- diet

I have been diagnosed with IBS- with alternating bouts of constipation and diarrhea. Iv been eating the same for near;y4yrs now and all of a sudden IBS starts, this last week in particular i have had diarrhea: Here's my intake for yday:
1 bowl of hifibre with boiling water no milk
1/2 cup oatees (daughters cereal she didnt eat)
1apple no skin
1/2 stuffed butternut, gem squash with cottage cheese
4provitas with syrup
Alfredo pasta for dinner
1/2 choccie in the afternoon
6 cups of decaf coffe and 2 cups tea.

Would this cause the IBS diarrhea coz i eat pretty much the same everyday just different dinner every night and i eat chocs less than twice a week.

Please help and if you could advise a food/meal plan rough guideline on what i should be eating coz i cramp so very badly after each meal.

Dear Lolli
Two of the most important factors in IBS are a lack of dietary fibre and stress. To increase your dietary fibre intake and obtain tips about this condition, click on ‘Diet’, ‘You are what you eat’ and “Healthy GI tract’. If you suffer from flatulence and bloating, you will have to experiment with the foods you eat that may cause problems with a spastic colon (raw onions, garlic, cucumber, green peppers, very spicy foods and condiments, gas-cold drinks, fruits that contain pips such as guavas, figs, etc). This is often an individual reaction and you will have to keep a food diary to see what foods cause this problem and then cut them out. If you find that this is a problem for you, please consult a clinical dietitian who will work out a specific diet for your condition. (Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). Your doctor will also be able to prescribe medicines which can relieve the flatulence such as Bevispas, so chat to your doctor about such medications.
To relieve stress I would recommend that you should learn relaxing techniques, how to do deep breathing exercises and some form of physical exercise which is also relaxing, such as yoga. Going for brisk walks in the fresh air also helps to relieve tension. If necessary you can consult a clinical psychologist to assist you in learning to relax because the diarrhoea form of IBS is very often triggered by stress.

3
Posted by: Avishek | 2009/03/31

Dear Sir,

i am suffering from ibs since 2007 take lots of praceuation but in vein.

please suggest me the diet chart usefull for this.

Reply to Avishek
Posted by: yolandi | 2009/03/23

to whom it my consern
Im looking for a healthy dieet that will help me with my spastic colon. I want to know what to eat and what not.

Thank You
Yolandi

Reply to yolandi
Posted by: lORRY | 2008/07/14

I have ibs and would like to no what foods is better to eat i have changed my diet .Still doesnt seem to be working.

regards

Lorry

Reply to lORRY