Question
Posted by: Elle | 2007/05/04

IBS and insulin resistant

Good day doc,

I recently had to go for a colonoscopy and gastroscopy by dr vd Bogaerd as I am at a high risk for colon cancer and had some distressing symptoms. The doc found that I have a severe case of IBS and have put me on a regime of medicines that I will have to take for the rest of my life. I have also been diagnosed with insulin resistance and PCOS. I know that diet is extremely important for all these conditions and the fact that my BMI is 43 doesn't help. I have been to the dietician for my insulin resistance and have a high fibre low GI diet that I combine by using the Weight Watchers point system to ensure that what I eat is still low kj. But with my IBS I have read that a high fibre diet could actually be negative. Two of the main aggrevaters for my colon is wheat and milk. What I would like to know is if I should continue with my Low GI plan or wether I should switch to the SureSlim diet. I've found that illiminating most carbs from my diet really soothes my IBS and I get rapid weight loss results. The only problem with the SureSlim diet is that I'm only allowed to eat 3 meals a day, which is not good for my insulin resistance and makes my bloodsugar rise and fall throughtout the day. With the SureSlim diet I have oats and bran for breakfast and a fruit with lunch and dinner which consists of veggies and white lean meat. I also gym for 2 hours a day (30-45min cardio and weight training) 6 times a week. I'm REALLY serious about getting healthy, not about just losing weight. I had a big scare and I realise that just crash dieting is killing me. I need to know which eating plan would benefit my health more and still help me to lower my BMI to achieve all the related health benefits gained by losing excess weight.

Thank you so much

Dear Elle
You need to discuss these options with your dietitian and the physician who is treating your insulin resistance, PCOS and IBS. Tell the dietitian that you seem to be sensitive to wheat and milk so that she can adapt your diet accordingly. I would personally recommend that the dietitian should work out an individual diet prescription for you with the added factors of your wheat and milk sensitivity, rather than that you go on a diet that makes your insulin resistance worse. So go back to the dietitian and tell her what you have just told me.
Holding thumbs that you soon feel better and that your multiple problems are well controlled.