Question
Posted by: Jenny | 2006/11/03

IBS

I suffer from IBS and I was reading an article on the condition and recommends substituting wheat with “spelt”. I suffer mostly constipation and it seems spelt rice, pasta, and bread makes the condition better. Only I have never heard of the Spelt foods and would like to know if we do have it in SA. I also want to lose wait and I got the nutrition info as below: what does this really mean? Spelt contains about 62 percent carbohydrates, 8.8 percent fibre, 12 percent protein and 2.7 percent fat, as well as dietary minerals and vitamins, including silica.

Dear Jenny
Spelt is a grain which you may be able to purchase from health shops, so do enquire in your town. From what you mention this grain is rich in carbohydrates and dietary fibre, which is one of the recommendations for IBS - namely to increase your dietary fibre intake. Two of the most important factors in IBS are a lack of dietary fibre and stress. To increase your dietary fibre intake and obtain tips about this condition, click on ‘Diet', ‘You are what you eat' and "Healthy GI tract'. If you suffer from flatulence and bloating, you will have to experiment with the foods you eat that may cause problems with a spastic colon (raw onions, garlic, cucumber, green peppers, very spicy foods and condiments, gas-cold drinks, fruits that contain pips such as guavas, figs, etc). This is often an individual reaction and you will have to keep a food diary to see what foods cause this problem and then cut them out. If you find that this is a problem for you, please consult a clinical dietitian who will work out a specific diet for your condition. (Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). Your doctor will also be able to prescribe medicines which can relieve the flatulence such as Bevispas, so chat to your doctor about such medications.
To relieve stress I would recommend that you should learn relaxing techniques, how to do deep breathing exercises and some form of physical exercise which is also relaxing, such as yoga. Going for brisk walks in the fresh air also helps to relieve tension.