Question
Posted by: Anna | 2004/10/18

IBS

Dear Doc,

Please can you tell me if IBS can be caused by stress. I have had IBS for the past 3 years. I have managed to keep it under control by not eating foods that cause wind or cramps. But these last two weeks I have been suffering from bad cramps again. I am wondering if it could be because I am stressing about my divorce which is about to happen this month. Should I go and see my GP and get some meds?

Thank you.

Dear Anna
Yes, stress is one of the most important factors in IBS. You can certainly ask the gp for a mild anxiolytic but if your stress levels remain high, then it may also be a good idea to consult a clinical psychologist. Clinical psychologists are listed in the Yellow Pages under 'Psychologists' or you can ask your gp to refer you. He/she will help you to work out what underlying psychological problems are causing this stress and help you to cope with them.
So sorry to hear about your divorce.
Hand in there