Question
Posted by: Colette | 2002/12/05

IBS

I was diagnosed with IBS more than 1 year ago. The dietician said that I had to follow the diet that she recommended (no dairy, no gas producing foods and no wheat), for +/- 2 months and then I could go back to eating normally. Everything was fine for about 6 months and then the problems started again. The dietician just puts me on the same diet everytime. This inturn makes me depressed and stressed out as I then have to check absolutely everything that I eat. I can't even go out to a resturant or get take-aways. I am also lactose intoletant as a result of the IBS. Will I ever be able to eat dairy products again or will I have to live the rest of my life checking what I eat? I also have an overactive immune system and my mother, who is a nurse, seems to think that my problems can be sorted out if I go to an allergy specialist. Do you have the contact details of an allergy specialist in the Cape Town area and would this be a correct approach to take?

Dear Colette
It is always a good idea to have tests for allergies to make quite sure which foods you are really allergic to. Dr Harris Steinman is an expert on allergies and you will find him in the medical section of the Cape Town telephone book. If you are lactose intolerant then you may have to exclude all milk and dairy products for the rest of your life, but let's first see what the tests show.