Question
Posted by: suneel | 2004/03/11

iam allergic to onions , what other food items should I avoid eating ?

I have noticed that iam very allergic to onions ,even a tiny bit of onion powder triggers extreme muscle fatigue and drowsiness , the medicine "septron" generates a similiar response , what other food items should I avoid and what is the chemical Iam reacting to , my guess is sulphur or one of its compounds

Dear Suneel
You may well be sensitive to sulphur, but it is difficult to say for sure if you have not had any tests done. It may be a good idea to ask your gp to send you for allergy tests, just to make sure - self-diagnosis can be self-defeating. If you are sensitive to sulphur then you would need to avoid foods rich in sulphur and any foods that are preserved with sulphur compounds such as SO2. If you contact the Allergy Society of SA by visiting their Website at: www.allergysa.org you should be able to obtain information on sulphur-containing foods, but first have those tests done.