Question
Posted by: Zoey | 2003/03/06

I'm trying to fall pregnant and went off chronic Topamax. I keep on gaining weight. What can I do?

I took Topamax chronic for the treatment of bipolar disorder. Mentally I feel good, but I keep on gaining weight, especially arounf my abdomen. It is extremely frustrating and I hate my body at the moment. What can I do and why is this happening to me? Please advise.

Zoey, best to discuss this with the doctor prescribing the Topamax, who will know if there is a good reason why this is the best medicine for you, or if there are alternatives that might be less prone to encouraging weight-gain. Sometimes folks eat less and lose weight during depressions, and gain weight as the mood disorder eases.
Weight gain often starts by going round the abdomen, which is a sort of fat store-room ; it then general redistributes abit to other parts of the body. Why not consider joining a gym or exercise program --- the exercise will help promote the weight loss, and will usually be good for your mood disorder, too.