Question
Posted by: KAZ | 2007/04/19

I'm Back and with a question

Well it has been a long time since writing on this forum. Busy.

We have tenants in our Grannyflat and they picked up two kittens on seperate occasions. They have a ginger and white kitten and a black and white kitten. The problem is that there ginger kitten has made itself at home in our house and the black and white kitten, been a nervous kitten stayed around the grannyflat area. The other morning they found the black and white kitten dead in our yard with no apparent wounds and its tongue was swollen with very little blood. The tenant has already buried the kitten. We don't know if the kitten was bitten by a snake although she said there was know marking that a snake had bitten. The other thing is that she said was that this kitten when it falls doesn't fall on it's feet like normal cats would do but fall on its side or back but never on its feet. It could've had internal bleeding from a puctured lung. We don't put anything poisonous like slug pellets or ratex so we know that isn't the case. The other thing it may have been sick right from the beginning and went outside to die. I feel for my tenants as two of my previous cats have died tragically.

Our tenant's boyfriend is allergic to cats and they at one stage said we could keep the ginger one as it waltz's into our house like he owns the place and plays with my two cats but now that the black and white one is dead she now wants to take it which we don't mind doing as he is not our kitten right from the beginning. They were going to take the black and white with them as they are moving out at the end of this month.

Shame this black and white kitten was found in a drain and was rescued and had been a nervous kitten from then onwards. Anything use to scare this poor thing, there I go crying again. It would hide if someone came to the window where it use to sit.

My German Shepherd who is "mother" to my kitten now 10 months on Sunday is acting motherly to the ginger kitten as well. The kitten has got use to her but it hasn't stopped him from giving my German Shepherd a slap on the nose now and then. Funny or should I be more serious, my German Shepherd was more concerned for the black and white than the ginger one when I use to visit the tenant, she could have sensed something before we knew what was wrong.

How sad! Do you have many bees in your garden?

2
Posted by: KAZ | 2007/04/20

We do have have the odd bees around our garden and I haven't seen a bee nest anywhere around. This happened during the course of the night.

The last couple of nights the ginger kitten who by the way is 3 and half months old. As cute as buttons and has the characteristics of JT (my late cat). Ja I think I will miss him should our tenants take him, it is their kitten to start off with but at night he comes in and sleeps on our bed and he has grown on me which I promised I would not do. The tenants put bells on their kittens so they can hear where they are. During the day they left the kittens to come and go as they pleased during the day and this is where Scruff the ginger kitten started playing with Bostick. And now they the best of friends. This morning Smudge also started playing with him like she use to do with JT. It seems this kitten just has this appeal of putting everyone at ease. He plays with Ou Nooi's tail, Sasha does't chase it anymore like she use to do. Smudge seems to have come out her depression, she is more relaxed. My husband has also fallen for this kittens charms. Simba also likes him, it is only our bird that hasn't taken to him (naturally) and Scruff is very weary of him as he did get bitten. All of us humans and animals in our household have at one stage or other in our lives have been bitten by Kiewiet, no one has been spared his beak

My mother-in-law on Saturday saw the kitten for the first time and the first words out of her mouth were "What an ugly looking kitten" I was shocked as she loves cats, she had nine at one time and grew up with cats. Those of you that I have your e-mails have seen what this kitten looks like. WR I'd love to get your e-mail as well. Mine is karen dot bole at kzntransport dot gov dot za.

Reply to KAZ
Posted by: Kate | 2007/04/19

Oh Kaz - so sad, poor little thing.
It probably was ill from the get go.
How do you feel about the ginger kitten leaving?
He is so cute (please keep sending pics of your guys)
I had to put my ginger female down on Monday - still battling to come to terms with it, she was my first cat and was only 12.
She had cancer on her nose and for months I managed with the help of my vet to keep it under control and then 2 weeks ago it just started growing again to the size of a R1 coin - we considered sending her to Westville Hospital to have her nose cut away, but there were no garuantees it would not come back and she would have to live with a hole in her face where her nose was.
Okay now I am crying again.....

Reply to Kate