Question
Posted by: RIC | 2005/12/06

I'm a shopoholic... please help me!!!!

I am always shopping and spending all my money, I do pay me debts (which is not that much and my loan gets deducted from my salary) but the rest I blow and I can't help myself, whether I have R50 or R5000 I'll spend it all a.s.a.p...... I always find something that I have to have and I tell myself I need it and should not go without it. I have recently spend my whole bonus plus I took a loan of R9000 as well as my salary... and to be honest I dont have much to show for it????? please help me......

See a good local psychologist practising CBT style counselling, and end this problem. And meanwhiole take steps to limit your abiolity to overspend. Discuss it with your bank, set a spending cap per month, give back the credit cards, make an arangement for a chunk of your earning to go straight into a savings account, etc. etc.

2
Posted by: Susie | 2005/12/06

Oh boy RIC I am just the same as you. I work all week but when I shop then I ofern buy stuff I do not really need and I never have extra money in the bank! Credit cards Debit cards and buying on account is the worst and now there is even internet shopping! Oh yes, I know where you are coming from, I do the same and also don't know how to help myself either! So I will be reading other postings here with interest.

Reply to Susie
Posted by: Yellow | 2005/12/06

Make a budget, set goals for saving, stay away from the shops.... It is worse this time of year isnt it? Retail Therapy when you are feeling low, all kinds of things make us want to buy things to make us feel better. I am a kalahari dot net shopaholic. I love books and would spend thousands if I let myself go. I have to make stupid rules for myself, ie if I pay off my credit card, I can buy 2 books. Silly but it is the only way I keep control.

Reply to Yellow