Question
Posted by: Cath | 2007/05/24

I want to stop drinking

Hi, I am really fed-up with myself and my drinking. I am not able to control my intake anymore. I buy a bottle of wine and instead of having just 1 glass like a good girl, I have to finish it! I go without wine for a few days then I am back at Pick'nPay and they have a special on something nice, I a promise myself just one glass. And there I go again the bottles empty! What is my solution? I think that it's best I stop completely, but what is the best way to? And without feeling like a party-pooper, when everyone else is having a good time?

Well, congratulations on taking the absolutely first essential step towards cobriety--- you have to recognize that there is a problem and that you want to stop. ANy good local counsellor or shrink should be able to help you , there are some meds that can make it easier, and there is no need to be a party pooper --- you can have a good time, and not reduce anyone else's good time, while drinking non-alcoholic drinks. And you are right to recognize that the solitary drinking you describe is more sinister than moderate social drinking. Echelle, the problem is that some people have an awful lot of blue moons every week !

8
Posted by: Cath | 2007/05/24

I'm back from the doctor. He has given me Wellbutrin to take for a couple of months. I suggests that I go for a walk at happy hour 5-6, break the habit. I think I will take the dog for a stroll around the block. He says that I should be fine most of his patients are dragged to his surgery by their spouse, not many people actually go on their own free will. Well here goes! I keep you posted thanks for all the comments!

Reply to Cath
Posted by: Blondie.. | 2007/05/24

Cath - do you drink alone?

I had the same problem, also the wine..promise myself to drink one glass and then finish the bottle - I tried to fool myself by drinking spritzers - which was just that - fooling myself. Still finished the whole bottle, it just took longer.

Then I met my boyfriend, he keeps me so busy and on my toes - wine is the last thing I think about these days. I'm also not that into the company that I used to entertain.

These days when I do drink wine - I drink the low alcohol wine.

Good luck.

Reply to Blondie..
Posted by: Echelle | 2007/05/24

I used to be like that with Brandy, after a few months I started wanting more and more, like before work and during lunch time, but it takes a lot of self control, so I just decided to stop and I did. Now I only drink once a month or maybe 2 months and not too much either. Just remember, you are the boss, not the wine!

Reply to Echelle
Posted by: Cath | 2007/05/24

Thanks JP, I've made an appointment for this afternoon. Will let you know what he has to say. Bye for now!

Reply to Cath
Posted by: JP | 2007/05/24

Cath, with your positive way of thinking, the battle is halfly won allready. Now, don't let the grass grow underneath your feet, go to the docter ASAP. Always remember, when you get 'thirsty', this forum will ALWAYS help. GOOD LUCK ON THE WAY FORWARD, and let us know how it goes!

Reply to JP
Posted by: Cath | 2007/05/24

Thanks everyone. Yes, I do have too many blue moons. I have stopped many times before but start again and my drinking slowly builds up to this situation again, when I am looking at the empty bottle saying you've one it again, we are back here. I know it's not "normal" so I think that I'll go and have a chat with my doctor.

Reply to Cath
Posted by: JP | 2007/05/24

I sort of agree with Echelle, but also disagree. Maybe there is a reason you feel guilty about your intake, like past experience or alcoholism in the family. But at the end of the day, its only up to you. If you know you have a problam, well done in posting your concern, it is a step in the right direction. As with everything in live, you have to be comfotable with what you do. If everybody else is having a good time... You can also have a great time, you don't have to drink to have a good time... (But you will have to drink to have the same 'IQ' in order to understand their jokes)

Reply to JP
Posted by: Echelle | 2007/05/24

What's wrong with one bottle once in a blue moon? Relax and enjoy it or maybe share the bottle with someone else? But you don't need alcohol to enjoy yourself.

Reply to Echelle