Question
Posted by: Tash | 2004/11/05

I want to gain weight. Please help!

I posted a ques. about a month ago on my weight loss. I took your advice about going onto the website to - Diet - Weight Gaining. Having had a tests done on my thyroid etc. it came back clear so I know medically I am fine... While reading on the article on Weight gaining I noticed under: excessive excercise, that top athletes who train everyday eat a special diet which restores the energy they burn which does not leave them tired and thin. Do you know of this diet? What foods should I eat and not eat to help with me gaining weight? Thanks!

Dear Tash
Elite athletes eat special diets with very high energy levels - some of which are in excess of 3000 cal or 12000 kJ a day. They have extra snacks of high-carb foods and use energy drinks like Energade, Powerade, etc before, during and after training. They also eat slightly more protein than individuals who do not exercise intensively, so you can certainly apply this kind of regimen to yourself. Eat 1-2 extra portions of carbohydrate at each meal, e.g. an extra 2 slices of toast with polyunsaturated margarine and jam or peanut butter at breakfast, extra snacks at teatime (e.g. energy bars), more carbs at lunch (extra wholewheat bread or dried fruit and nuts, etc), extra snacks at teatime, at least 2 starches at supper and extra snacks before you go to sleep (e.g. milk with full-cream milk and wholewheat chocolate biscuits). Also drink at least a litre of one of the energy drinks a day. This regimen should cause weight gain although I do not know if you will be capable of eating such large quantities of food if you are not exercising strenuously. But give it a try.
Did you also phone Magda and ask her about the use of special nutritional meal replacements which can boost energy intake? I repeat that her contact nos are: (011) 203-2000 or 083-603-2231.
Good luck once again.