Question
Posted by: moniqe | 2007/03/25

I WANT TO GAIN WEIGHT, bmi of 17

please help, im 20 and have weighed 47kg for my whole teenage years. People think theres something wrong with me but i eat alot. i just cant seem to keep weight on or gain any. my sister and i have always had the same body but now shes 16 and has more curves than i couldve hoped for when i was her age. my body feels weak and i have constant back pain.
i cant seem to find any weight gaining books on the internet except for body building for men.
please advise me on some books or any other advice you might have.

Dear Monique
If your metabolism is very fast, then it may be a good idea to have your gp check your thyroid function as an overactive thyroid can cause pronounced weight loss and prevent weight gain. Gaining weight is just as problematic as trying to lose it. Basically individuals who struggle to gain weight do not ingest sufficient energy for the high demands of their Basic metabolic rate and/or physical activity. I have written some articles on this subject. For basic information click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Companies like Fresenius Kabi and Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone Fresenius on (011) 203-2000, or the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your energy intake. Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If you use a meal supplement such as Fresubin, with or without fibre, at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then you should gain 1 kg per week.

1
Posted by: moniqe | 2007/03/28

thanx so much!!

Reply to moniqe