Question
Posted by: Mandy | 2004/11/04

I want to die!!!!

Im writing 3 exams next week. tues, wed, friday and monday the 18th. Im so stressed i cant even open my books. my year marks are horrible, university sucks! If i fail i'll b excluded and i cant afford that. i've had a tough year, financial problems etc. People please advise me what to do. i wish i could be run down by car so not to write now and write supps. i know thats horrible bt only d person who's going thru what im going thru will understand. i feel like such a failure. PLEAS HELP ME! pls dont tell me to calm down cause i cant, i cant sleep, i cant eat. i cant study, my body is sore, my cycle is messed up.........I FEEL SO HOPELESS!!!!

Mandy, you're catastrophizing and panicking, and not assessing the situation realistically See a shrink asap, maybe though student counselling, or through your GP. Actually, as Liza says, you may well qualify for a postponed exam, let alone a resit, on health grounds. And get some medication in the short term ( and only in safe and small amouints ) to help you chill out a little, and counsellign to work on calming and planning to get to the resits in proper shape to write and pass. If you have lousy study habits and planning, ask again at university for study habit counselling, which should also be available.
And discuss this with your friends and family, and get the support you need to get through this temporary crisis and move on towards more successes in the future.

2
Posted by: Yum | 2004/11/05

Hey Mandy, don't give up.
Thanks for your advice, Liza. Good to keep in mind, but I don't think it really helps Mandy.
I'm a Unisa student too, and exam times really make me feel as if I'm at the end of my rope. In fact, I don't really have any suicidal tendencies, but during exam times, I sometimes hope to be in some sort of accident just to escape having to go through writing a paper.
But seriously, if you are studying through Unisa (I'm not so sure about other universities), you can structure your studies so as to suit how you can cope. I know the urge to do as many subjects as possible so you can finish your degree is strong, but at the end of the day, the lousy results and stress will just make you feel worse and you may feel less motivated.
When I started I registered for the maximum amount of modules. For the first and second year, it was fine. Then I couldn't cope, my results got steadily worse and I just ended up hating studying.
At the start of this year (which would have been my final year), I decided to spread it out over next year as well, by registering for less modules. My exam results for the first semester improved, I was able to manage my time better, and overall I felt more motivated to study. Getting good results is extremely gratifying, especially when you've had time to put into studying, instead of cramming lots of information in in very little time.
Although I would have liked to graduate at the end of 2004, I'm glad not to have to go through all that stress. Its not worth it. You can only push yourself so far. Besides, keep in mind that prospective employers will be looking for graduates with good grades, and not those who finished their degrees in record time.

Mandy, dont give up. Be strong.

Reply to Yum
Posted by: Liza | 2004/11/04

You don't mention where you study - but apparently at Unisa even if you just say that you got a flat tire on your way to the exams they will let you write a supp. I got a doctors letter for 2 of mine, but they didn't even ask to see it - just told me that I had to pay an extra R130 per subject to write the supp next year. Perhaps you should just take 2 off? Some great excuses are:
a. Flat tyre
b. Engine trouble (this one will work twice too!)
c. Sick (since they don't ask for the doctor's letter anyway)

Any other ones? My sisters' boyfriend has a whole arsenal of them (he's done this plenty before) Maybe someone else can come up with others.

Liza

Reply to Liza