Question
Posted by: C. | 2007/06/06

I. WANT. SALT!

Hi there dietdoc. I have a question. What does it mean when your body crave salt? I'm talking LOTS AND LOTS of salt!? When I get the chance, I assault my foodstuffs with as much salt as possible. And my body applauds . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . .

Dear C
Salt cravings are very often just a learned response. Only top athletes who exercise to exhaustion and in a very hot climate where they lose many litres of sweat on a daily basis, develop a sodium deficiency. If you are overdoing you water intake (drinking more than 4 glasses of water a day in addition to your other liquid intake) then this could cause an electrolyte imbalance and make you crave salt. Try to reduce how much salt you ingest because although your body may seem to applaud, you are putting a great strain on your kidneys and could in the long run, cause high blood pressure. If you are unable to stop eating so much salt, have yourself checked by a medical dr to determine if this is caused by an underlying health problem.
Take care