Question
Posted by: dispondent | 2008/06/07

i want my life back

dearest diet doc
i have read a few of your advices to others and now brave myself to ask for your help.. ihave struggled with an eating disorder for about 5 and half years, i stopped it once and felt fantastic but i afterwards i went through an emotionally draining period in my life which resulted in me losing contact with my family for 3 years, and to comfort me, i resorted to eating when i was sad, depressed, stressed as well as joyful.. i hav always bn weight concious and as a result i began purging and severe bulimia became a secret in my life. i have finally come closer to my family again but the disorder has not stopped. it has become a horrible disgusting greedy habit to eat to my satisfaction and try get it out of me.. leaving me feeling guilty and sad. i truly want this nightmare to end and i want to wake up to my life i use to thrive on.. i am not in the position to get professional help.. please can u give me some healthy tips of how to get back to normal healthy eating without my body holding on to eveything i start eating again. should i start cutting carbs and slowly re-introduce them, as i have heard the body quickly stores carbs.. please i dont want to put on weight.. i just want to get healthy. i have had so much pain and tears from food. i just want to let it go and carry n with my life. please advise. much appreciated.

Dear Despondent
I am so sorry to hear that you are struggling with bulimia. I know that you say you cannot get professional help (which I surmise may be due to financial reasons), but it is imperative that you at least get some assistance. I don't know where you live, but if you are in one of the bigger centres or near one of the teaching hospitals or universities?? If so, phone them and ask if they have a psychology or diet clinic or an eating disorder clinic where you can go for help. Manipulating your diet by for example cutting out carbs will not change your mindset or help you to learn less destructive ways of dealing with your emotional problems.
So please start being proactive and search for low-cost assistance because you need someone to help you beat this disorder.
Holding thumbs for you