Question
Posted by: zanele | 2004/11/22

i want a baby!!!1

Hi doc i'm very desperate in my life i'm 29 years and have not concieved yet although i'm trying hard please help. i never used pills or injetcion or any contrceptive in my life but i'm struggling to conceive i think my age is getting old as time pass by all my friends have babies except me, what is wrong is god punishing me or what, my GP Told me to do IVF what is that and wht does it do to woman how is it done, do i have a big problem or what please help!!!!1 iwant to see myself holding the little one in my hands oneday. if thers' something wrong i have i've already asked god to forgive me but what went wrong.!!!!111

The commonest reasons for not conceiving are if you do not ovulate, if your tubes are blocked or if your partner's sperm count is low. You will need tests to check these. The treatments are different depending on what the problem is.

1
Posted by: Golly | 2004/11/22

Zanele,

You are not too old and age should not play a role at this change. Find a gynae specializing in fertility treatments in a area near you. The doc will first ask a lot of questions about your health and history. He/she will also do a couple of blood tests to determine if you have a hormonal imbalance and if you ovulate. If no problems show up the next step will be a post coital test to see if your cervical environment is hostile to sperm or not. Your partner will also be asked to have a sperm sample analysed. If no problem is found at this point, the doc might recommend further investigations such as a laparoscopy where they insert a tiny camera in your abdomen and look to see if you have blocked tubes or endometrioses or other physical obstructions.

It is a long hard road, but as many women on this forum will agree it makes all the difference to be able to put a name and reason to your infertility and then get specific treatment for it. All the best!

Reply to Golly