Posted by: Litchi | 2004/11/01

I sweat more than some guys!

Hi Doc

I am a 26 year old female and I have a terrible problem with sweat. I sweat under my arms way more than some guys and it's getting me down. I sweat when I'm hot, I sweat when I'm cold, I sweat when I'm nervous, I sweat just coz I can and it's driving me nuts!! It's so bad that some days I have to wash under my arms up to 3 times a day! I can only wear sleeveless tops or very loose fitting tops to try and prevent sweat patches. When we go out I'm pretty much doomed coz I can't exactly go wash and so I'm left keeping my arms down tight next to my sides and that's not what I call having fun. I've tried anti perspirant but that just makes my armpits really sore as the sweat glands get blocked more and more, so I don't use it coz it's not worth the pain. I've read in the Shape mag that there is a pill you can take to dry you out .... but that doesn't just target the problem area and you end up being dry in places that shouldn't be. Also I know there is an operation you can have to remove sweat glands but that's for very serious cases and is very painful and I'm told that your body then over compensates by sweating more elsewhere. So none of these are an option. I've also heard about having Botox injections to the armpits which will stop the sweating for 6 months to a year and I have considered this option but I would hate to do it and then end up with sore armpits like in the anti perspirant situation.

So, my question to you is .... do you perhaps know of any ways that could help my situation or if the Botox option is a good one that would leave my armpits sweat and pain free?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.


Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

Litchi, it all depends on how bad the sweating is and where the main areas of sweating are. If it is just in the armpits Botox® is a good option and if it is in the armpits and the hands, surgery would be better. If it is all over the body, things become more difficult as you will have to take a drug of some kind and this might have systemic side effects.
The best would of course be to try and find out if there is an underlying cause and to treat the cause rather than the symptom. The best person to help you with this would be a good dermatologist or surgeon. Good luck.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.