Posted by: Jamie | 2008/08/06

I sometimes bleed from sex

OK, last question for today, I promise. It' s just that I' m quite new to this whole gay thing and I don' t know where else to ask these questions. I' m even embarrassed to ask my (more experienced) gay friends about these things.

I' m not really sure how to ask this question, but here goes. Often when I am anally penetrated by my partner, I bleed afterwards. This only happens when I am sexually penetrated (i.e. it doesn' t happen on a daily basis or when I am not sexuall active), it lasts for about 1-2 days and the blood is usually a bright red colour. There is no pain or itching there and I don' t think I have piles or anything, although I am not sure exactly what to look for. In the mirror, everything looks more or less " smooth"  and normal. No warts or strange bumps or whatever. Is there a website with some pictures to show me what to look for?

I' ve noticed this usually happens if I don' t use a lot of lube or just use spit for lube. However when I empty half a bottle of lube up there, the bleeding is far less frequent.

Could there be a problem? Should I rather avoid this kind of sex? Must I try to discuss it with my family doctor (how!). Can I get an over the counter medication to try? Should I be worried for my health (physically and from a disease point of view)? Should I just accept that I bleed occasionally after sex? Could it cause colon cancer?

I look forward to your input and advice.

Hugs to all,

Expert ImageGay, lesbian and bisexual expert

Hi again Jamie and thanks for this post.

Phew! You don't tell us whether you experience and severe discomfort or any pain during anal sex - many guys feel an initial sense of discomfort which passes fairly soon as the inner sphincter muscle relaxes. Please note that anal sex is never supposed to be painful. In terms of bleeding, a small amount of blood is always (yes, always) released into the rectum during anal sex but your being able to see evidence of this is quite rare. The rectal membrane is very delicate and fragile and we expect minute quantities of blood but you describe far more than this so I suggest you do consult your GP. How? "Doctor I bleed after anal intercourse". Find a gay GP or tell your GP your girlfriend uses a strap-on dildo on you. Colon cancer is often associated with a history of having had anal warts but again, this is something to discuss with your GP.

Of course there's also a concern about HIV infection - I am assuming your partner is always wearing a condom when he penetrates you?

Posted by: Gareth | 2008/08/06

Remember that the anal walls are very sensitive flesh and can sometimes tear a little. From what you describe, it happens more if you use less lube. If the sex is a bit rough, it could cause a bit of damage. But the fact that it goes away after a day or two, tells me that you should not worry too much about it. Maybe just make sure that you use enough lube (not just spit). Read a bit on the anal taboo under the articles above too.
If it bleeds everytime, even if you use lube and the sex was not rough, it might still be piles too. Some piles are internal, so you wouldn' t see it, and they are usually not painful at all, so you might not even know that they are there. If the bleeding occurs often, it would be wise to see a doctor. He will be able to tell you more about what it could be.

Reply to Gareth