Question
Posted by: Mia | 2005/07/11

I reported him but got a lousy response - what now?

Refering to posting 18565.

I reported the IT guy that has been bothering me at work. I went to the HR person and told her the whole story about how he had gained access to my computer for personal gain - not business purposes. I did not disclose his name. I was advised to tell him how I felt.

I went up to my desk after the meeting and this man was lurking around my desk! I think he had been on my computer again!

I immediately sent him a very CLEAR email saying that I was uncomfortable with chatting to him over messenger if it was not for business purposes. About two hours later he sent me a snotty reply saying something like: "Stop messing around and get on with your work. Are you having drinks on Friday when you leave? When are you giving me your number?"

He had obviously been observing me and I was actually working. I never replied to that email. I think he was probably trying to be cute and funny but I lost my sense of humour when he started invading my privacy!

I was only contracted for a month and I'm leaving on Friday. I don't think he's worth any more trouble and the HR person did not seem bothered about this. She made me feel like I was being silly about some guy who obviously has a crush on me. What now? I reckon I just leave it - they know I have concerns.

Keep a copy of the email. Sorry that the HR dept was so irresponsibly clueless. What a fool that woman was, an how absurdly incompetent at her job ! You'll be well rid of these guys when your month is up ! Your appropriate concerns are now at least on record, and you can probably leave it and look forward to leaving.

4
Posted by: Purple | 2005/07/12

flirting is only fun if both parties wish to partake. If somebody leers at you and you don't want them around its no fun and is encroaching on your dignity and right not to be sexually harassed. That's the big deal.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: caz | 2005/07/12

its just flirting....geeeeeezzzz.....whats the big deal?

Reply to caz
Posted by: Purple | 2005/07/12

I'd still go to that HR persons manager. She has put the company at huge risk, because if you take things further and she did not excercise the company's duty to protect you from sexual harassment, they are at big risk. I'm sure her manager would like to know about her incompetence.

Forget about the guy, its just a few more days. Keep your proof, and let him know (in response to his next note, which he will undoubtedly send) that you have proof of his actions and that you will support any other woman's claims against him.

It was wise to ignore his note, continue to do so unless he makes any direct threats or anything simlar.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: SR | 2005/07/12

CS is right, you rat his ass out when you leave. Expose all the chats, the emails everything. You are leaving Friday so who gives?

Reply to SR