Question
Posted by: ANONYMOUS | 2004/02/20

I REALLY FEEL LIKE I NEED SOME SERIOUS HELP

I CRY EVERY DAY, I FEEL LIKE EVERYONE HATES ME, IS THERE SOMEHTING WRONG WITH ME? MY DAD AND I ARE ALWAYS FIGHTING, AND TO MAKE THINGS WORSE I WORK FOR HIM TOO. I FEEL AS IF HE IS STARTING TO SEE ME AS A SECRETARY NOW AND NOT HIS DAUGHTER. AND I LOVE MY DAD SO MUCH I CANT STAND TO FIGHT WITH HIM ALL THE TIME, IT KILLS ME INSIDE. PLEASE HELP ME. TELL ME DO I NEED HELP. I ALSO FEEL VERY STRESSED AND DEPRESSED!!!!

Anon, the others have made very wise comments. Working for members of one's family can often be difficult, especialyl because it's hard to distinguish which hat he or you are wearing at any particular time ( boss or dad, daughter or secretary). At work he MUST see you as secretary and not daughter -- you're not hired to be a daughter there. At home, he must see you as dad's daughter, because nobody's being paid to be anyting other than they are.
Discuss this with him when things are calm, maybe see a counsellor for a few sessions. Maybe work on getting more realistic expectations of the work situation.

5
Posted by: madge | 2004/02/20

Yes, I agree with "Romantic coach" talk to your father before it destroys your relationship. Try to create a professional relationship while at work and keep your personal life separate. Good luck!

Reply to madge
Posted by: Romantic coach | 2004/02/20

Anonymous, although this is by no means a romantic issue, I feel I want to comment here.

The comments above are fair. It can be difficult working for you father. It can also be very good as Nat has mentioned. You haven't mentioned what your relationship is like OUTSIDE of work. Is it different? Because if it is, then you should be able to talk to your father. You have the advantage of being his daughter so he will be more accommodating.

But one thing that you have to remember, while you're at work you ARE his secretary (If that is your function). He is probably trying to treat everybody equally as employees and not making exceptions for you just because you are his daughter.

You haven't provided too much information but it is possible, and I say this without all the details, just maybe you are being a little sensitive.

Does he treat you like a secretary at home? Or does he become just plain Dad? It is important for you to also distinguish between the 2.

But sit him down and talk to him. You'll see, it will all work out. You are very fortunate to be able to work for pops rather than having some boss screaming at you. At least you know that it is dear ol' dad.

Reply to Romantic coach
Posted by: Nat | 2004/02/20

I used to work for my father too. Trust me its better than having a boss down your neck all day. I agree with everyone else. But are you sure you arnt being a little spoilt? A little selfish. Maybe your father is just trying to help you and teach you by being firm? I would love it if I could work for my father again. Is he being that nasty to you?

Reply to Nat
Posted by: Jill | 2004/02/20

Yes, i agree with 'me'. Find another job, working for your dad is not a good idea. If you need some support then go for a few sessions of counciling. It is always good to talk abut your problems. Don't let work ruin your relationship with your Dad.

Good Luck!

Reply to Jill
Posted by: me | 2004/02/20

Working for one's parents is generally not good. There are always complications. Find work somewhere else and i am sure your whole life will change for the better. Good Luck

Reply to me