Question
Posted by: sam | 2005/07/09

i really dont know what to do and its making me hate myself

i dont know what to do. I wrote on here last time and 2 ppl answered which helped. The teen expert said it sounds like i could have ADD. For a long time i have felt that i might have ADD. Noone listens to me though. I dont really talk to my mum because she isnt around a lot and well we just dont talk. My dad is schizoprhenic. I tried to tell him i thought i had ADD but well you can probably guess he just talked a load of rubish back. I am quite close with my teachers seeing as i'm head boy. the biggest reason i am head boy is because i was really naughty andnearly got chucked out of school but turned it around. All my targets are high but i still seem to underachieve even though its a year into my gcse. I 've tried top hint that i think theres something wrong with me and how hard it is for me to concentrate but they just dont listen. They always say everyone finds it hard to concentrate or all teenagers are like that. BUT whati dont understand is how come i feel so frustrated and none else does. None realises how hard i find it, how often and how much i cant concentrate. Even in exams once i loose the attention i cant get back inot. the other day i nearly got sent out the test cos i kept fidgeting but i was really borde. HOW comes everytime someone talks to me i just dont listen. everytime i strat thinking of other stuff and i drift of. Honestly, do all other teenagers go through what i am. I cant take it anymore. What shall i do if i dont feel comfortable talking to my GP or parents at all and none seems to understand or listen to me when i say i REALLY cant concentrate. I dont want them to think that i'm weird because i think theres something wrong wth me. PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Expert ImageTeen expert

Hi Sam,

if you cannot speak to yur parents or doctor about this I strongy suggest you do more than just hint at the problem with your teachers. Tell them how much of a problem this is for you and how much it is worrying you, and that it is affecting your performance. Whilst you may not feel comfortable talking to your mum or GP you have to ask yourself is this problem important enough to do something about? If so, then you need to think about ways of mentioning this to your mum. It must also be very difficult for you dealing with your father having a serious mental illness, and I hope you are getting some form of support about this.

If speaking to your mum at first is too difficult please find time to sit down and speak to one of the teachers you are close to and tell them exactly what the problems are. Writing down a problem list beforehand will also help you get your point across and it can also be something they can read and respond to.

Don't give up on yourself Sam, you are important enough to invest time in yourself in this way.

2
Posted by: sam | 2005/07/09

Who can i get to help me though if i cant talk to other people

Reply to sam
Posted by: 8ball | 2005/07/09

Ok i hate writen a whole inspirational thing for you but it didnt go through so here it is again in brief.
You got ADD, so do i. I know exactly whats its like, i do terrible at school and find myself wondering off all the time but i got some tapes, books and i went to a psycologist dude who gives you a bunch of tests and depending on your result he tells you if you got ADD or not and gives you ways to study with it. So now here are some of the facts: The only cure is infact the source, your mind. Ritilin helps but it makes one very moody and depressed. You have to train your mind to stay focused because its not some thing that goes away when you hit 18. You have to learn to controll your mind so when you leave school one day you will be able to cope. Now you will also find that most of these pyscologists dudes are ADD as well so its not just you. And having ADD is infact the complete opposite of stupid. ADD is actually that our minds work to fast for us to controll. Our minds work too fast and get board of one particular thing so we drift off. Thats why if we can just learn to controll ourselfs then we can be top student and so basically we are the clever ones but too much brain too handle. Im not making this up its true. The only cure is the source so next time you find yourself hating yourself then rather love yourself. Hope i helped, good luck.

Reply to 8ball