Posted by: Under-weight | 2008/10/06

I need to gain weight

I have been under-weight as long as i can recall.

I currently weigh around 59kg (recently up from 55kg). I' m 27 years old and about 1.9m tall.

I have tried going to gym and using mass builders etc. (while i was still in school) These made no difference

I eat a reasonable amount and most of the time i have 3 meals a day.

what can i do to gain weight? i am thinking of using anabolic steroids

Dear Underweight
Please don't use anabolic steroids if you want to gain weight as these compounds can make you very ill and also disrupt your entire psychological balance. If your metabolism is very fast, then it may be a good idea to have your gp check your thyroid function as an overactive thyroid can cause pronounced weight loss and prevent weight gain. Gaining weight is just as problematic as trying to lose it. Basically individuals who struggle to gain weight do not ingest sufficient energy for the high demands of their Basic metabolic rate and/or physical activity. I have written some articles on this subject. For basic information click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Companies like Fresenius Kabi and Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone Fresenius on (011) 545-0000, or the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your energy intake. You can purchase liquid meal supplements at most chemist shops. Talk to the pharmacist about your need to gain weight and see which products he or she will recommend. Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If you use a meal supplement such as Fresubin, with or without fibre, at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then you should gain 1 kg per week.. Feedback from other Readers has indicated that they have successfully gained weight by using a meal supplement.

Posted by: Underwieght | 2008/10/14

Thanks DietDoc

I will try this and post the results soon.

Reply to Underwieght