Question
Posted by: CONTROL FREAK | 2004/02/04

I NEED TO BE IN CONTROL

I TRY SO HARD NOT TO TRY AND TAKE CONTROL OF EVERY SITUATION, BUT MY FRIENDS AND FAMILY TELL ME THAT SOMETIMES I AM A CONTROL FREAK. CAN YOU GIVE ME SOME ADVISE IN REALISING THAT I CANNOT SOLVE EVERYONES PROBLEMS. SO THAT I CAN LEARN TO STAND BACK AND SHUT UP SO AS NOT TO OFFEND. I AM CONVINCED THAT THIS IS AN ILLNESS, BECAUSE WHEN I AM NOT IN CONTROL OF A SITUATION I CAN ALMOST FEEL A PANIC ATTACK COMING ON. I FEEL I AM ONLY TRYING TO HELP. BUT IN FACT I THINK ITS ME THAT NEEDS THE HELP.

CF, the advice is easy. Even if you undertook 30 years of study in psychiatry, psychology, social work, sociology, etc., and traind with the world's greatest experts ; and even if everyone begged you to help them and promised truthfully that they would follow every scrap of advice you gve them absolutely to the letter --- you could not solve everybody's problems. And even if you could, many of them wouldn't want you to do so.
What you describe could be an obsessive-compulsive personality disorder, or an OCD, in which you try to control everything for fear that something ghastly will happen if you don't do so. See a psychiatrist for an assessment and advice --- if OCD, some medications can ehlp a lot, of the OC personality disorder, counselling, similarly, can be most helpful