Posted by: Shi | 2004/11/22

I need some guidance please...

My husband and I have been married for over a year now. We decided not to wait with having children, since we are both in our 30's already. My husband has a child from a previous marraige, so children is not as important to him, but I would love to have a child or children. It has been a year without me conceiving naturally and I am starting to wonder now. The problem is that my husband goes away with work quite often and then I am sometimes stuck when he is not around when I ovulate. I've been to the gynae this weekend and he suggested that I do a test to see if my tubes are open or not. My husband wants me to wait and said I should not do anything right now. Should I wait till we settle down (which could still be another year), or should I go ahead and do the test? Can I put it on medical aid or do you pay cash for it? Thank you.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageGynaeDoc

If you are missing the time of ovualtion, that may be the problem. I assume that you are sure that you are ovulating. It is hard to say whether you should do the test now or later. If you do it now, at least you will have a clearer idea of what the problem may be. Most medical aids do not pay for fertility investigations.
Best wishes

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Golly | 2004/11/22


The medical aids are quite fickle about paying for such surgery as they do not see fertility problems as impairing your quality of life (as withouther medical conditions) or life-threatening. If your docter can motivate the procedure as related to endometrioses or PCOS or suspected myoma, etc. the medical aid would pay their prescribed rates.

I would suggest that you do not wait to do the procedure. It will not help you get pregnant, but only help indicate the reason why you are not conceiving. Based on the findings, the doc will discuss fertility treatment with you. You can then opt when and where to go for treatment.

Remember that fertility treatments are no silver bullets and it may still take anything from months to years before you fall pregnant. Also after 35 your fertility decreases and the success rate of fertility treatments also declines rapidly.

Be sure to have your husbands full support when opting for fertility treatment as it takes a huge emotional toll (as weel as a financial one) on a marriage. All the best!

Golly (32, ttc for 2.5 y, diagnosed with endo, going for IVF)

Reply to Golly

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.