Question
Posted by: Yo | 2007/06/13

I need more info feliway for cats

Hi I am refering to me earlier post (535) about my cat.

Can anyone tell me more about Feliway?
What exacly does it do and how do you use it?

Thanks in advance

Hugz and paws
Yolanda

Feliway is a substance containing cat pheromones that have a "soothing" effect on the cat. DAP, the equivalent product for dogs explains it a bit better - Dog appeasing pheromone. Feliway is available as an aerosol and also as a room vapourizer that uses a device similar to plug-in air freshners. Plug it in in the room where the cat spends most of its time. If you are moviing use is for about 3 weeks before the move and then in your new home. Feliway vapourizers are often used in veterinary hospital cat wards to help cats settle and be less stressed.

4
Posted by: Carol | 2007/06/13

My local vet doesnt have one .. and i need to know what it costs to budget accordingly ....

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Yo | 2007/06/13

Thank you very much for the information, I really appreciate it I am going to go to my vet after work today to purchase Feliway.
:-)
Hugz and Paws
Yolanda

Reply to Yo
Posted by: Natasha | 2007/06/13

Sorry I forgot to mention that my vet said you also get a Feliway spray. Like an aerosol can spray that does the same thing, but that you have to spray it onto all the surfaces where you cat goes a couple of times a day for it to work. That just sounds like to much PT to me, so i went the plug route !!
Maybe someones on the forum knows more about the spray !

Reply to Natasha
Posted by: Natasha | 2007/06/13

Hi Yolanda
I have been using a Feliway for my aggresive cat for about 7 weeks now.
It is something like those Glade Plug-in fragrance things for the house. It is a round plastic plug (about the same size as one of those round mosquito plugs that you put the little square pads into). Then there is a little bottle of liquid that screws into the bottom of the plug. It has vents on the top of the plug where the fragrance comes out.
The liquid is a cat pheramone. My vet explained it to me like this : When a cat cleans its face (rubbing it's whiskers) a pheremone is released from the face which calms the cat. That is why they rub their faces against things and look happy and content and normally purr. The liquid in this bottle is a synthetic form of this pheremone found in cats. When the liquid evaporates the cats smell it and it brings those same calm feelings as their natural pheremones.
The bottle of liquid is supposed to last one month, but mine is lasting much longer. Apparently the time period it lasts depends on how well ventilated the house is. The box says that one Feliway plug covers an area of 70 square meters. Once you have bought the plug you only need to keep buying refils afterwards.
I paid R 350 for the plug and the bottle of liquid at my vet. I am not sure how much the liquid is on it's own. It is expensive, but I am glad I got it. Pepi, my agressive cat is deffinately no longer aggressive. She has become lovable and even rolls over now for me to rub her tummy. Beleive me that was not normal Pepi behaviour !!
If you need any more info, or need a picture of the Feliway please email me on natasha dot v at webmail dot co dot za.
I hope this helps you a bit.
Have a good day
Natasha

Reply to Natasha