Question
Posted by: TAMMY* | 2007/05/17

I need help please!

Hi there I would really like your advise. A couple of months ago my daughter met "the guy of her dreams" I will ask him things like does he really like my daughter then he will reply by saying "yes very much" but the relationship was over and done by the 5th month..which left my daughter distraught untill today. That was 3 months ago she still very much in love with this guy and at 1st she will do everything in her power to see him over the weekends. She spoke to me regarding and my advise to her was not to see him at all, I told her she must try and forget him for now thats the only way to move on,,,and maybe put her mind to her studies and her other friends..She is not really moving forward and I don't know how to help her anymore please advise.
She is at College age 18 ,,,she is only meeting guys and having relationship for the last year and a half...

Thank you,

If, as it appears, he has definitely moved on, it is indeed foolish for her to refuse to move on, and to insist on pretending that somehow he'll come back and everhything will be marvellous. But we are not logical in matters of love. And she will move on when she is ready, and not because any of us tell her to do so. Be generally supportive, more supporting of activities that involve her in a life without him, and less supportive of moping and trying to see him again

3
Posted by: TAMMY* | 2007/05/17

THANKS DOC!

Best wishes,,

Reply to TAMMY*
Posted by: TAMMY* | 2007/05/17

Thanks for the advise,,,really appreciate it. I have a good relationship with my daughter she tells me almost everything she goes trew...which I appreciate very much because the kids are keeping them so big these days. I will substain from always telling her to let go because she is a bit distand from me regarding that issue. I know this is what life is about for her but my biggest worries is her studies...thats why I am so worried but will let her go ...

Thank you very much..

Reply to TAMMY*
Posted by: NURSE | 2007/05/17

You know all the talking in the world will not change the way she feels now. Give her time and she will come to realise that she needs to move on - it may take 6 months, it may take 6 years but only she can decide that. I know that as a parent it is very hard to watch our children suffer like that but she is young and she will more than likely fall in love 10 times more. Try not to worry anymore about her on that subject and try not to give advice - it will just distance her from you. Good Luck

Reply to NURSE