Question
Posted by: nony | 2004/11/01

I Need Help, Please

I've been suffering from depression for three and a half years and its ruining me. I'm only 18 years old and i cannot find myself actually having a reasonably happy life! I'm feeling so frustrated about my depression becuase i feel its stopping me from making freinds and living a normal life, i fear i'm doomed with depression forever, i really just feel like ending it all by taking my life! is there perhaps some natural antidepressants that can be recomended. Or is there something i can do to get rid of it?

There are no "natural" antidepresants. Only St John's Wort has been shown to have some possible benefits, and it works to the extent that it does in mild depressions, just in the same way as Prozac does. What you need is to see a good shrink, a psychologist or psychiatrist, for a proper assessment and diagnosis, and then a discussion of treatment options, because it does sound as if you may have depression, which can be very sucessfully treated, if this is done ith the advice and guidance of the appropriate expert.

2
Posted by: Mooh | 2004/11/02

Pls could you infom us what is the reason for your depression ???

Reply to Mooh
Posted by: DG | 2004/11/02

You do not mention recieving any form of therapy or being on medication? I think this could be of great help to you in your recovery. Depression is treatable, and of course there are alternatives out there- such as 'St Johns Wort' - which can help with mild depression and anxiety. However if your depression may need some brain chemicals- then that is where anti-depressants come into the picture.
Discuss this issue with your Dr. or if you are seeking help currently- it is important that you tell them how you are feeling and to what extent these feelings go.
There is no need to even think of ending your life, I am sure there are plans out there for you; and life surely needs you?
I myself know what it is like to not be able to see the other side of despair- but there is always a balance in life. There will always be ups and downs. You have to take charge and look for those little ups. Find something to keep you busy, a hobby or something. Just dont give up on yourself- you are worth more than that.
Hang in there- you can do this!

Reply to DG