Question
Posted by: Rusty | 2004/01/14

I need help, im gym illiterate!!!

Hi there,

Im a 19yr old male,1.84m tall & i weigh 70 kgs. I need a begginers plan that will help me start getting more muscle & more definition, how soon should i start seeing results? Please could you give me definitions & examples for the following words REPS? SETS? what do they mean?

Thank You for your assistance & i look forward to your reply!!

Rusty

Expert ImageBodybuilding

Rusty,

Hi there-I note your question but G did an excellent job of answering your question for you.

Give me your e-mail address and I'll mail you a good beginner's program.

Keep well and in touch,

Conrad Booysen-Biokineticist

3
Posted by: DONAVAN | 2006/02/28

I just started gyming and cofused to what is a rep I do like 30 bicep curls is that how you count the reps?

Reply to DONAVAN
Posted by: Rusty | 2004/01/15

Thank you G & Conrad, you guys have helped me alot. Hopefuly the people in the gym are as friendly as you are!!!

I will let you know how things go!!

Rusty

Reply to Rusty
Posted by: G | 2004/01/14

Firstly I was pretty shy and felt pretty much out of place when I first stepped into the gym, and all I can say is you will be surprised by how many friendly people there are in the gym that are willing to lend a hand and give you advice. Conrad should be able to supply you with a nice beginners program but don't think that in a month you will have grown considerably. I started growing at about two months into training, what you will notice is your strength will pick up and your form etc. You don't shake as much when lifting weights etc.

A REP is one complete movement of exercise. E.G. in a bench press a REP is the complete movement of the bar from your fully extended arm down to your chest and back up to the start position. So to do 6 REPS the bar has to come down to your chest and be lifted 6 times.

A SET is a number of REPS (Of one exercise) done consecutively. You can do 3 SETS of 6 REP's each. So you don't stop until you've done 6 REPS, once you have completed those 6 REPS 1 SET is complete.

DROP SET is where you do a selected number of reps with a chosen weight, then drop the weight and continue with a second set without taking a break between sets. Drop sets are usually done in three stages.

SUPER SET is where a number of exercises are combined which target the same muscle groups but target different areas of the muscle. So you do 6 Reps of Hammer curls then change the position and do 6 Reps of Preacher curls.

Hope I didn't confuse you but like I said don't be afraid to ask questions at the gym, and I know I learnt a lot just by watching some of the guys in the gym. Form counts more than weight, rather go a little to light than a little too heavy if its going to keep the form right. You will often see the biggest guys in the gym aren't picking up the heaviest weights, they just making sure they are keeping there form as best as they can.

Reply to G