Question
Posted by: Sheila | 2007/06/04

I NEED ADVICE

Hi, i hope someone can help me. I have a little girl who is turning 3 this year. Whilst I was pregnant her father died of a drug overdose. We had a very unhealthy relationship and he used to beat me up. In the begining I felt sad for her that she would never meet her dad until i got involved with my fiance. He has been a close friend of mine for 15 years. He and my daughter took to each other like bees to honey. She absolutely adores him and vice versa. Now since we have been together, which is 2 years now, her fathers family has not been involved in her life at all and i quite prefer it that way. My question is should i tell her the truth and at what age should i tell her and how should i tell her?

Your feelings are very understandable --- though she lost nothing in not having met an abusive drug addict, truly. There is no general law about when to tell her, except for general principles --- when she is old enough to undersdtand it, and when she asks, youj answer in an age-appropriate way

1
Posted by: Gen | 2007/06/04

At age 3 she is still to young to understand that her biological father died while she was still an unborn baby. Only you will know when the time is right to tell her the truth about her father.

Reply to Gen