Question
Posted by: Rachel | 2007/06/01

I need a cat

Hi all,
I need advice urgently. I have 2 adult dogs and 4 puppies. I am thinking of getting a cat due to the rat infestation in my house. My worry is that my dogs will attack the cat. I could keep the cat inside the house because the dogs stay outside, and I keep the big dogs at the back of the yard. But the problem is that cats have a tendency of going everywhere. How can I ensure that the cat will be safe from the dogs?

You will need to protect the cat until the dogs are used to it.

5
Posted by: Carol | 2007/06/04

Thats for sure my ten prefer their food out of a tin or bag and in a dish!!!!

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Joni | 2007/06/03

I agree with Carol, Sheryl and Sun. I have 5 dogs - different breeds and 4 cats and it has taken a lot of training, time and effort. They all get along now, but it was hard work.

What dogs do you have? remember some dogs are just not compatible with Cats no matter how hard you try!

Another thing just because you get a cat doesn't mean it will hunt rats!

Reply to Joni
Posted by: Carol | 2007/06/01

I agree ... but if you wish to have a cat as a house pet , then you need to train your dogs.

It can be done if you have the time and commitment.

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Sheryl | 2007/06/01

Hi Rachel

I totally agree with Sun - you need to consider the needs and health
of the cat - they get a lot of worms from rats. Also, a cat is a long
term commitment, are you prepared to look after it for 20 years?
Will you still want the cat after your rat infestation is sorted out?
As Sun says - rather find another solution.

Reply to Sheryl
Posted by: SUN | 2007/06/01

I would rather find another solution to your rat problem - rather contact a pest control expert. Your dogs in all likelihood will attack the cat and if you have so many rats one cat will have a hell of a job controlling them. and yes, to keep a cat away from dogs would be very difficult as cats wander. Rather contact an expert to deal with the problem.

Reply to SUN