Question
Posted by: KATHRINE | 2003/12/18

I LOVE CHOCOLATE BUT I HATE THE WAY IT MAKES ME LOOK AND FEEL.

Hi doc

I eat well during the day. Sticking to fat free and small portions. Not getting hungry. But, after dinner, I go crazy if I don't have a chocolate or an ice-cream. I know I'm not hungry because during the day if I am hungry, I would eat a chicken breast or a fruit. But at night I want the bad stuff. I always think that "if I don't eat it now I deprived myself the whole day and you wont have enough energy for gym tomorrow morning". I know I'm talking twang to myself, but this itch is driving me crazy. If I don't eat it, then I went the whole day and got it "right", and will loose the weight I need to. What is going on inside my head. I am disgusted with my lack of control. I eat chocolate even if I don't really want to just because ......, well that what I don't know? Can you please help?

Dear Kathrine,
See also what my Health24 colleague Dietdoc has to say. And "No doc, that's not it "? how brilliant to manage to diagree with me before I've actually said anything !
Sounds like you stick to a good and sensible enough diet during the day, and by evening you feel you deserve to reward yourself. And chocolate does contain some harmless chemicals that help us to feel good. I would think that so long as you limit the amount you have in the evening --- a reasonable portion of chocolate as a reward for eating modestly all day, would not damage the purpose of your diet, and not be unhealthy. Maybe you also find your day rather unrewarding, adding to that sense of really deserving something special as an evening reward

4
Posted by: KATHRINE | 2003/12/20

Thank you so much Zeena, that's the best advice I've had so far. You are a star.

Reply to KATHRINE
Posted by: Zeena | 2003/12/19

Kathrine, are you overweight? I mean, really fat? Because I do think we women are probably by nature (most of us anyway) programmed to be at least 5 - 10kg heavier than the skinny beauties pictured in magazines. The big question is: are we depriving ourselves of a certain quality of life just because we've read that chocolate is a sin?? Has our enjoyment of life been curtailed by the everlasting, boring, depressing idea that we must be "on a diet"??

Some years ago an American foodie magazine I subscribed to would feature, in every issue, one gorgeous, rich, fattening recipe with a mouthwatering photograph. The title of this monthly recipe was "Forbidden Pleasures". It used to drive me nuts. Why should an earthly pleasure be given the description of "forbidden"? "Forbidden" by whom? Why??

I only have this advice for you. You feel guilty because of your after-dinner craving. Stop feeling guilty. Stop thinking "I am on a diet". Don't ever BE on a diet. The slender, normal women I know have one thing in common: they eat everything they like, only in small portions. Think on that. They satisfy all their food craving by having small portions of good foods they love. Perhaps your daily diet is just a a little too low-fat for your body's needs. Perhaps if you had more high-calorie foods during the day you might find your craving for after-dinner sweets lessening. In any case, see that there are no sweet things in your house EXCEPT perhaps a small bar of nougat or a Snacker or a small choc bar. It will satisfy your urge and you will not be overeating.

Reply to Zeena
Posted by: KATHRINE | 2003/12/19

No doc, I was speaking to you and disagreeing with what I said in the first page I submited, thats all. I was not being funny or anything.

Reply to KATHRINE
Posted by: KATHRINE | 2003/12/18

No doc. No thats not it. When it gets to after dinner and I do not eat that chocolate bar, I worry that if I don't eat something now I will get hungry tomorrow and over eat, so I over eat not. That makes no sense but thats what I think. I worry about being hungry and reaching for something I should not during the day, only to give in in the evening. Why is this doc. How do I overcome my over eating in the evening.

Reply to KATHRINE