Question
Posted by: Grizo | 2007/05/08

I have PCOS and insulin of 40, give diet

I am 26 years old and trying to get pregnant. My insulin is 40 and I have PCOS with al 3 the symptoms - no ovulation/menstuation, very hairy and over weight. I am 1.80m and weigh 120kg. Please give me a diet on what to eat and when.

Dear Girzo
I am sorry to hear that you have both PCOS and insulin resistance (IR). It is essential for anyone with insulin resistance and PCOS to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, PCOS, medications and other conditions such as the overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes'. Do try and start doing regular daily exercise as soon as you have lost some weight and are more mobile (your present BMI = 37). Aerobic exercise is best (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life) for up to 90 min a day. Exercise not only improves weight loss, but it helps to stabilise your insulin and glucose levels and counteracts that IR.
Holding thumbs that you lose weight and fall pregnant