Question
Posted by: M | 2004/01/09

I have pain in my right mid to lower rib cage.

The pain is so bad sometimes that I have curved my back to the right. If I apply pressure it seems to ease. I have had severe asthma for 8 years and have been told that the pain is a product of the asthma attacks and that I should take a pain pill if I have pain. However my asthma has been under control now, for more than 2 -3 years and the pain has remained. It also seems the one side of my rib cage is a bit higher than the other.
I have mentioned this to my GP for the last 3 years, but with no luck. They have also done scans of my galbladder and that was fine and not the cause of the pain. I sometimes have to take bandage material and tie it around my ribs to have some relive any ideas?

M

M, it’s difficult to say what the problem is without being able to examine you, but it doesn’t sound normal. It might be due to a liver problem or adhesions between the lung and the rib cage. It might also be due to something pressing on the nerves in your back or due to a referred pain from a kidney for instance. The best would be to get a second opinion from a specialist physician and see what he has to say. Good luck.