Question
Posted by: Dees | 2004/03/05

I have been diagnosed with Acute renal failure ie, Glomerulonephritis. I also have high blood pressure, and high cholestrol.

Hi Doc,
I have glomerulonephritis (high protein in the urine)and my nephrologist says that there is nothing that can be done about my condition since both my kidneys have reduced in size to 8.8 cm, without differentiation between the different layers of the kidneys. He says that an endoscope (i think that what its called) cannot be done to determine which glomeroulonephritis it is since it has become too dangerous. All i do is take pressure and cholestrol tablets every day. I have now began cooking only with olive oil. My kidneys are still functioning fairly well ie. 80% he says, and i have never had any swellings which is supposed to be a syptom. I would much appreciate if you could recommend a low protein diet as this seems to be the only way to keep my kidneys functioning well. He did not recommend one since said it doesn't matter what i eat now.
Many Thanks for your suport and advice.

Dear Dees
I am very sorry to hear about your problems. Because the dietary treatment of kidney conditions, is very complicated and needs constant monitoring, Please consult a clinical dietitian ASAP (check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area). It is essential that the dietitian works out a diet which is low in protein and potassium for your individual case. I cannot prescribe this type of diet over the Internet.
Holding thumbs that you start feeling much better soon.