Question
Posted by: Luba | 2007/07/13

I Hate Running

I am 31 years old woman and weigh 87kg, height 1.56cm. I go to the gym 3-4 times a week. I always tell myself that I will run toady but when I get on the treadmill, I start walking and just dont feel like running. How can I overcome this as I have 20kg to lose.

Luba

Hi Luba

Don't run if you hate it so much - you don't have to run. You can always cycle, row, do a taebo class, some swimming, the stair machine, the orbitrainer, etc. There are plenty of options - one of the benefits of being at the gym, I guess.

So you don't have to run, there are other options available to you. And it's not as though running is necessarily the best one to do, especially if you hate it. Rather do the things you enjoy, because this is a long term project and one that you need to aim to do for many months. It would really tough to do that for months if you hate the activity.

So my advice is to try out the other forms of exercise, and then choose what you enjoy. Stick with that and I'm sure it will work. And may in time, you'll even start to enjoy running, who knows?