Question
Posted by: Mindful | 2007/02/20

I hate my job at the moment

Hi CS,

Is it normal to feel this way? I've been in this industry for 5 years. For the most part, I know that I enjoy the "thinking" part of my job. In the last year or so, I've become very confident in what I do. A lot of people know that if they need something done, all they have to do is come and knock on my door. As a result, I'm always busy. In addition to that, I was taken off my projects (all in order) and moved to a project area that is in utter chaos. The project team don't want to accept my input, and they can't stand together as a team and make decisions. I'm frustrated, and I'm stressed out, and I am not happy in my job at all anymore. I've been quite strong, but over the weekend, I started having anxiety attacks, and this morning, I'm in tears, and the day hasn't even started yet. I feel if I tell my manager this, he's going to think that I'm a "quitter".

I want to leave my job. BUT if I go, I want to get out of this industry completely. I nearly left last year, but my manager increased my salary dramatically. This industry is all I know, and I know I'm good at what I do! I fantasise about teaching, but I know, from having had to train all the new comers in my department, I don't have the patience for that.

I don't know what to do anymore.

I think one would need to be especially unintelligent and unimaginative not to dislike one's job at times. Maybe it'd be a good idea to discuss this with your manager --- it sounds as though you were so successful in your previous mutually satisfying role, that they hoped you'd work miracles with a fractious and difficult bunch who are incapable of working properly as a teach or of properly using your riches. Surely it'd be wise of him/her to move you back to your previous role, perhaps with some other activities that would appeal to you, and have someone else work on this fractious bunch

4
Posted by: Anonymous | 2007/02/20

I was in the same situation, but luckily I could get out. Hope you can find a way to make a change before it's too late.

Posted by: Britty | 2007/02/20

CV is right - you can only lose your job which you don't want any more. Sounds like your manager has confidence in you in giving you the worst job. Dont get upset about your treatment get angry with them and let your manager know what is going on as you won't be moaning but keeping him informed of progrerss.Good luck.

Reply to Britty
Posted by: RMC | 2007/02/20

Same problem here - also in project management so I know about the deadlines and all that and the juniors in the team just don't get it. If the top management actually gave a hoot here and made them accountable perhaps I would get more results. I have asked for a team building weekend though.

Ask for more authority as well, like the power to give DC and written warnings.

Reply to RMC
Posted by: cv | 2007/02/20

Standup and talk to the team,tell them how you feel about the chaos.Talk to the manager and tell what you think,if he can raise your salary to keep you,he must also listen to what you have to say. Be strong and dont let people who can give you nothing but griefe, get you from doing what you like to do.

Reply to cv