Question
Posted by: romero | 2007/06/06

I finally found my problem and fear...

Dear Cybershrink,

I have been on this site a few time now... and after reading about my condition, which indeed is anxiety...I must admit that I also have what in the older versions as one would say anxiety neurosis.. and I am also a hypochondriac... I have now stopped surfing the internet looking for possible..answers to my condition.

I have now come to realise that, I am only thirty, and I don't have the time anymore to start worrying about my problems...

I have been re-assured time and time agin by several doctors that "its just anxiety".

After reading an article on the google search about anxiety neurosis and hypochondria, I now feel very much as ease.

Also I have been at fault many times as well, I am the one that brings on the stress and worry. IF ONLY WE COULD JUST STOP WORRYING....

I have done some nasty things like "organsing" things for friends, when there was nothing to organise.. just take their money and lie to them....I did some really shitty stuff, and no I am no criminal..

This money thing thing is I guess more about my ego and trying to be someone I am not... Well I have thought about his alot and If I continue about this.. I am gonna end up in a Mental Institution.

I guess.. that website that I visited really took an impact on me...

Now it's one step at a time....

Romero

You know, romero, if you are indeed hypochondriac, what you may have been doing is not searching the net for answers to your condition, but in a way, searching for conditions for your answer --- a hypochondriac STARTS with the assumption that he must be seriously physically ill, and then searches for serious conditions which this unwell feeling might represent. And of course, as we grow anxious, Anxiety is brilliantly designed to producea wide range of symptoms, so the more anxious we get, the more symptoms we will experience.
As you recognized, we then become almost literally the author of our own miseries --- but the good news part of that is that you can also un-write and erase those problems. This is where Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy helps, by aiding you in identifying these unhelpful assumptions and enabling you to change them and replace them with more fruitful conclusions about your life. You can learn to like who you actually are, rather than always striving to be someone else ( rarely anyone better than you really are already ).