Posted by: Sindy | 2008/08/05

I feel silly worse than Jim-Carey himsel

I work as a secretary so this morning I was late for work and was supposed to have made tea for the guests before the meeting started. I knew all the guests who were there inside becasue they are regualr, and all I did is just made tea for everbody and went inside the boardroom. As I walked in everybody had tea in their hand and I had to do a U-turn with a tray full of cups of coffee. I felt silly that I cried afterwards. So now I can' t shake that thought off my mind and I am very embarrased. Should I seek professional help for this because all I' ve been thinking about this morning is this incident. My friend says it is so silly.

Maybe there's no need for professional help if you feel upset and embarassed over a minor but upsetting and embarrassing episode. Discuss it calmly with you boss, apologise for having been late, explain how embarassed you feel. And explore how to prevent that sort of thing from happening again --- apart from being on time, maybe you could have checked first whether anyone else had already made tea for them ?

Posted by: LL2 | 2008/08/05

I' m a fellow PA and have been in the same situation before. Dont beat yourself up about it. Rather than cry about it, laugh about it. Let me tell you, the people in the meeting probably dont even remember it as we speak. They have bigger things on their mind than the secretary who brought tea in whilst they already had some. Cut yourself some slack, turn it into a joke and laugh about it. You' ll feel so much better. If it were my boss - I' d just pipe up and say : Now isnt this service with a smile! Good luck!

Reply to LL2
Posted by: Maria | 2008/08/05

Your reaction sounds entirely normal to me, this is a rather embarrassing situation! I think that at the first opportunity you should apologise to your boss, and then put it behind you. Professional help would be overkill at this stage, perhaps if in month' s time you still feel like you do today, you could consider it.

Reply to Maria