Question
Posted by: Totalini | 2005/11/22

I dont want another baby

I have one child and i dont want another one, I will not be able to afford another child can i get sterilised and is it expensive, do i have to have an op? Is the loop safe i am tired of taking contraceptive tablets and sometimes i forget. i am 28 years old. Help

Dear Totalini

It is my advise that based on your age, and the fact that you have only one child, you do not sterilise as this should be regarded as a permanent method of contraception.
It is quite often the case, that after several years of sterilisation, people change their minds about faling pregnant and it becomes extremely difficult -if not impossible - for them to conceive. Almost all sterilisation procedures require some form of surgical intervention.
The use of intra- uterine contraceptive devices (IUCD or loop) is relatively safe, in more-especially the recent introduction of MIRENA, which is a hormone impregnated IUCD. As an alternative, you could also use the new contraceptive trans-dermal patch which is applied on the skin on a once a week basis and is far more easier to remeber to use. Compliance is therefore much better and the contraction efficacy is as good as using an oral contraceptive.