Question
Posted by: SAD | 2010/03/03

I do not trust my doctor

I am Adult ADD with comorbid Anxiety and OCD. I have been on Ritalin for about 16 years and he says they safe and most effective drug to treat my condition. However I was put on effexor and it messed up my brain. When I try to stop all my drugs I get a panic attack and rush to the hospital. I often get horrible dizzy spells and constant pain in my eyes. There is not hope for me. I have run to six different doctors all with same diagnosis more or less. Strattera even gave me worst side effects. I am beggining to think drugs are bad for you. Many websites say ritalin causes psychosis and I believe them and not my doctor. I always have pain with tight head muscles and I feel death is the only way out.

I have been cautious about using Effexor ever since it's launch, but it is popular with some shrinks. Whatever meds one is taking for any form o anxiety disorder, to suddenly stop them ( except very rarely indeed on a doctor's specific advice ) is usually a really bad idea, and is likely to produce a resurgence of the anxiety symptoms.
BUT death is absolutely NOT the only way out, and not even an option worth considering. I am alarmed to hear you have seen 6 doctors without finding relief - were most of them simply assessing you and confirming the diagnosis, or confirming what they consider the best treatment, too ?
Maybe an academic psychiarist at one of the medical schools could help, with his staff, do a fuller re-assessment, and a carefully planned treatment programme. For a start, suicidal depression must be a priority. Depression and anxiwety are powerful amplifiers of pain from whatever cause, and muscle tension, which can be very painful, is often a part of anxiety disorders.
I wonder whether drug treatment of the ADHD is essential. After carefully withdrawing the Ritalin or whatever you are taking for that ( NOT a suddent stopping of it ), one could perhaps observe how things go without specific ADHD treatment. Indeed, in cases like this we often found it useful to carefulyl and gradually withdraw all meds, and then only gradually and carefully add back what seemed most needed.
And CBT therapy ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) has been proved to be effective for anxiety and depression, and of course has no inconvenient side-effects.
Don't give up on yourself, even if your recent experiences have been disheartening - make sure your shrink knows exactly how gloomy you are feeling, and reconsiders the whole treatment plan, while explaining it carefully to you.

2
Posted by: SAD | 2010/03/03

I feel the Effexor messed up my life. Not any other drug. I was doing fine. Just try stopping Effexor for one day and the side Effects are ungodly

Reply to SAD