Question
Posted by: Ben | 2005/07/23

I cut myself... why?

Please help me doc. I'm a 20 year old guy. Whenever I get stressed, mad, angry or sad I can think of nothing else but cutting myself and I usually end up doing so. I carry a blade in my toiletry bag. I use to just cut my arms but then it got noticable. Now I cut my legs and any place that it woun't show. It's not that I want to commit suicide. I just like the fact that I bleed and the sensation of it. Am I going insane??? Please help...

Dear Ben,
Please check thoroughly through the Achives of this Forum, as we have so often discussed various aspects of self-cuting, that you are likely to find the discussions useful. And you'll also notice that several of our readers have discovered how to stop cutting. You are definitely not going insane.
I published research on cutting in some textbooks some years back, and it would fully support what you say --- that it's NOT suicidal, not about suicide at all, and that in some people, in some situations, the cutting and bleeding help them to feel better --- but only temporarily, which why it is a really bad long-term solution, and why seeing a good psychologist to work on the issues that lead you to feel stressed, angry, sad, or abandoned, so you won't need to cut and can feel even better, while remaining intact !