Posted by: cough | 2008/08/25

I cough up stuff

I for about a year now frequently feel an irritation in my throat (mostly in the evening) and eventually I cough out small chunks off a bad smelling cheese like substance.
I consulted with a ear nose throat specialist, he told me not to worry, but did not sound like he was familiar with it. Is this common and what can be done to stop it.

Dear Cough
The stuff you cough up could be coming from tonsil crypts if you still have your tonsils ( this is called tonsilliths). If possible one can try and squeeze them out ( I can't - I gag!) otherwise try to rinse with an antibacterial mouthwash. If this doesn't help you may need to consider removing the tonsils.
If you don't have your tonsils anymore, I think one should do further tests as this may then be coming from the lungs - at least a chest x/ray is then advised