Question
Posted by: carrie | 2005/12/05

I can't trace allergy/s in 15 month old. When may tests be done?

I believe my 15 month old to be lactose intolerant due to runny nose, pimply skin etc on all milk formulae and dairy products. Had him on soya milk, but now on goats milk as i heard lactose intolerant individuals could also be soy intolerant. I also removed honey from the diet as I heard that could cause bloating, runny nose etc. He eats gluten free cereal at school (oats on weekends with me as more wholesome that boxed cereal), fruit: apple, pear banana or strawberries and soya yoghurt for 2 tea times and meat and veg for lunch at school (fish fingers, mince carrots, peas etc). What could be causing him to be so bloated and when can I have him tested? I don't allow any junk food, sweets, chips, biscuits, bread etc. (Apologies if 2nd time receiving, but 1st msg never appeared.) Thanks

Dear Carrie
I think you should ask your Paediatrician if you can have the lad tested at this stage because he could be allergic to a whole number of other allergens besides food allergens and you could be cutting out the wrong foods. If the dr does not agree to testing, please take the child to a clinical dietitian (check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area), so that the dietitian can help you to work out what foods, if any, your son may be allergic to. From what you describe, I don't think he is lactose intolerant, as this would manifest as serious diarrhoea every time he ingests milk or milk products (not just a runny nose and pimples), and he does not seem to be reacting to goat's milk (which also contains lactose). However, do get him tested and see the dietitian as he also needs other sources of calcium in his diet if he has to cut out milk.