Question
Posted by: Sonia | 2007/04/19

I can't stop eating

There is no food I won't put in my mouth and, of course, it shows. (I weigh 65kg and am 1.57m tall.) I can't stop eating. I take a appetite suppresant daily and have paid thousands of rands on any and every slimming product and club. I eat anything anytime. I don't even show a preferance for sweet or savoury foods - I just eat them all. I am a total glutton with no self control.
I know that excercise has great benefits, but I'd rather chew off my arm than go to a gym, that's how much I hate it. (I am 40 years old)

Dear Sonia
Your present BMI = 26,4 which is above the normal range (18-25), so it would be a good idea if you could lose some weight (3 kg to get back to the normal range with a BMI of 25, or 10 kg to have an ideal BMI of 22). The fact that you have tried so many different diet pills and diets has probably deranged your appetite control and could be the cause of this incessant appetite. I would recommend that you consult a a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), so that she/he can assess your situation and calculate a specific diet prescription for you. Don't chew off your arm - there is no need to join a gym, because there are many different aerobic exercises that you can do to assist weight loss without joining a gym (swimming or water aerobics, cycling, skipping, jogging, brisk walking, modern dancing, etc). Just make sure that you are physically active for 30 min a day and you will stimulate your metabolism.