Question
Posted by: Shock | 2007/12/12

I can't believe this!

Hi Doc,

I can't believe my luck! Today I went for my 3 month mark HIV test.

The nurse didn't wear gloves, but I took it as her being a professional and she knows what she's doing.

My result was negative! I was in the clear BUT stupidly I asked why she didn't wear gloves. She responded by saying that "She is already HIV +, and is not concerned about needle sticks or coming into contact with blood". She said se does however wear gloves if she has sores or cuts on her hands. I went into sudden shock - here I was, negative at my 3 month mark and now possibly re-infected!!!!!

I know the virus is not spread by casual contact, but I now had a needle prick on my finger, which she squeezed to get the blood out for the test, and I don't know if her hands were clean of possible infectuous fluids??? I do know that she didnt touch my wound directly, but I just don't know?

Was it possible to be infected in any manner in my experience? Do I now have to wait another 3 months and re-test?????

As I'm typing this, I am actually shaking and still can't believe it....I just dont know what to do....

Dear Shock
I don't think you have to re-test and I don't think she would have infected you. However she is very ill-informed as even if you are HIV positive you should avoid coming into contact with other people's blood as there are different strains of HIV.

2
Posted by: zoe | 2007/12/12

you cant get infected like that.

Reply to zoe
Posted by: Karesteen | 2007/12/12

Dont worry she has not infected you, you are just panicking, but you are fine, even if she touched your wound you would be ok ! It is VERY UNPROFESSIONAL of her not to wear gloves anyway infected or not and I would report her .

Reply to Karesteen